Saturday 9 January 2021

GOLDEN MERMAID OF SONGKLA

 

CNY is the next agenda for 2021 February. 

I never missed Hatyai – it is my only hide out for CNY.

The C 19 pandemic may not be so kind to me. 

Come this CNY, I will never get to visit my favourite Golden Mermaid in Songkla.

 

2018

 

My family always make it a point to take a photograph with this beautiful Mermaid, at least once a year.

There was one year - ‘She’ was destroyed partially by a bomb placed near the vicinity.

Last year, when I visited the government had given ‘Her’ a new touch of paint.

 

2019

 

Golden Mermaid sits coming her long hair for years at Simila Beach, Songkla.

It was created in 1966 by Jitr Buahus (Director of the Art & Craft College in Bangkok).

The idea of the mermaid comes from an epic 30,000-line saga about Prince Phra Aphai Mani by Soothorn Phu.

 

2017

 

The statue is based on the story, which tells a mermaid, who combed her hair with a golden comb, on the beach one starry night.

She was frightened away by a young fisherman. Smitten by her beauty and wanting to return her comb to her, he waited every day for her return, but she never came back.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment