Thursday 4 January 2018

SPAIN




SPAIN (PART 2)

Now, journey with me to Barcelona, Spain. Colorful, artistic, rich in culture and a shopper’s paradise. Get to see uniquely designed building of odd shapes.

One can either cross over to Spain by flight or land (via the Spanish Border from Evora passing through Alqueva Lake). But, I choose to fly as it is time saving and I can keep my energy cells for another round of detouring in Barcelona.

MUST SEE PLACES

In Barcelona, I need to work out my short stay to get the ‘best’ of this colorful city of cultures and art coupled with eccentric architectures found in the buildings surrounding the city.

With little time on hands, I have barely another two days to explore and experience this artistic city, I then take a map from the reception.

It is easier for me in Barcelona, as I am staying at the La Rambla shopping area, in the city center.

LA RAMBLA

The “Best of Barcelona Walk” map really serves a good purpose for me as it guides me along my walking spree to cover central Lisbon.

Firstly, one will meet up with the city’s mighty Gothic cathedral named Catedral (Cathedral) which was constructed on the remains of a palaeo-Christian basilica and a Romanesque church.

Next, is the Gothic Quarter which is Barcelona’s oldest district, brimming with atmospheric streets, alleyways and hidden squares, and flanked by historical buildings.
At the Gothic Quarter, one gets to see the Bridge Carrer Del Bisbe, Sant Jaume Square, Temple Augustus Itinerant Columns and the Horses Square.

HANGING BRIDGE CARRER DEL BISBE
 
Another ‘must see’ is the Picasso Museum is one of the city’s greatest tourist attraction which houses a complete collection of early artworks by Pablo Picasso in the world.

PICASSO


LA SAGRADA FAMILIA

I tell myself, Barcelona is incomplete without visiting the most unusual church in the world called the La Sagrada Familia (1882) designed by Antoni Gaudi.

On the second day, I book a taxi heading to La Sagrada Familia to capture Barcelona’s most distinctive landmark where Gaudi’s dream was to create Europe’s biggest temple and a bible in stone, with three facades representing the birth, death and resurrection of Christ.

For once, I witnessed for myself how beautiful is the La Sagrada Familia – the detail of sculpture on the façade is truly extraordinary, depicting almost 100 species of plants and animals, including Gaudi’s beloved chameleons, which can be seen carved onto the stonework all over the cathedral.

LA SAGRADA FAMILIA

Currently, the church is still undergoing some work-in-progress for an indefinite period.

To wrap up my holiday in Barcelona, I make a visit to the Spanish Village (Poble Espanyol) to know more about the cultures of the locals.

 The life-sized village contains 117 reproductions of famous or characteristic buildings from all over Spain, many of which now serve as art galleries and artisan workshops selling jewellery, wood carvings, leather items, and glass and ceramics.

SPANISH VILLAGE
 
We (my mother and me) then bid adios to Barcelona with a shopping spree at Gracia (branded items) and the La Rambla (middle class items), followed with an evening of Flamenco performance and a dinner of tapas dishes. 

GRACIA SHOPPING AREA




No comments:

Post a Comment